ShapeGrabber 3D Ai310
Injection molded plastic provides the light weight and design flexibility required for parts used in medical applications. From orthopedic and prosthetic devices to laboratory equipment and medical tools, molded plastics can be manufactured to very complex shapes that optimize weight and strength. These complex shapes make injection molded plastic parts some of the most difficult to measure for control to dimensional specifications.
Benefits to Medical Device Manufacturers
ShapeGrabber® 3D laser scanners are ideal to quickly and accurately inspect medical devices by correctly measuring the complete shape. The scanners:
• Allow rigorous quality control measures to be applied to precision injection molded plastics.
• Capture millions of data points in a few minutes which represent the true surface geometry.
• Scans can be easily compared directly to 3D CAD models.
• Scan data provides accurate and timely feedback on prototypes, allowing faster and
better part design and process optimization.
With ShapeGrabber 3D scanners, it is no longer necessary to rely on a few sample points collected with a caliper or a slow CMM. ShapeGrabber makes it possible to inspect the whole part and still make rapid pass/fail decisions with confidence.
ShapeGrabber for Injection-Molded Plastic Components
ShapeGrabber 3D scanners are particularly valuable for use with injection molded plastic parts because:
• They accurately measure complex shapes with compound curves.
• They can be used to effectively detect and measure warpage, twist, bow and shrinkage, and to troubleshoot fit problems.
• They can scan parts of any size, material, and color.
• Scans containing millions of data points can be completed within minutes.
• The visual nature of the results makes it possible to more quickly troubleshoot the source of a problem.
• Parts do not have to be placed in an expensive fixture to be scanned, leading to significant cost savings.
• Scan results are documented in automatically generated reports and can be provided to customers as part of the quality assurance process.
Specifications Overview – Ai310 with SG156 scanhead
Data acquisition rate: 39,000 to 350,000+ points per second
Scan volume: Cylinder of 300 mm (12 in) in height by 200 mm (8 in) in diameter
Laser: CDRH Class II / IEC Class 2M
Report types: Color error maps, By-out boxes, tables, cross sections, GD&T, tabular all available
Report formats: Excel, Word, HTML, PDF